Wednesday, November 26, 2008

You're Never Too Old To Be A Romantic

Most people who know me, if asked, would say I was cynical, sarcastic, witty, smart, filled with trivia, well-read or stubborn. Probably not a one of them would say I was a romantic.

But I am. Foolishly so. Hallmark romantic. Walking hand-in-hand into the sunset, kissing on a balcony in Paris, floating down the canals of Venice, or sitting in front of a roaring fire reading poetry and sipping wine romantic.

I'm also skinny-dipping, morning sex, naughty whisperings, and French kissing romantic, too.

And that's why I am a romance writer. Because I believe in romance. Because I have seen that grey-haired couple staring into one another's eyes with great passion. I have watched a couple hold their child for the first time. I have heard a woman speak of her man with pride - regardless of bank accounts or house size or Sexiest Man Alive status. I have seen couples share the hard times as well as the good times. Share the joys as well as the sorrows. I have heard single women speak of the Mr. Right they know is out there. I have watched a man pick out the perfect rose for his woman.

Despite the headlines, the news stories, the ugliness - I know that love and romance exists. It is, as Fox Mulder would say, out there (and yes, I always knew he and Scully were, truly, in love!). And I believe! I believe in the power of love, the power of romance, to bring people together.

I believe that you can fall in love with someone you have never met. And I believe that love is blind. Because in the end, it is all about the heart and the soul. Never the wallet. Never the country club membership. Never the impressive job, or the fame or the boobs.

I hope you will wander the romantic highways and by-ways with me. Explore romance in all its many shapes and forms. The sweet and the bittersweet. The poignant and the yearning. The magnificence of love.

It is, after all, what makes the world go round.

No comments: